Margaretsnews
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
 

Yesterday was chemo Tuesday. Yup, it’s back to the once a week chemo. While I didn’t go back in kicking and screaming (no energy for all that!), I certainly was dreading going. I also got a shot yesterday since I’m just a tad anemic which would explain the constant fatigue even after no chemo for a week. So maybe next week I’ll have the energy to kick and scream, we’ll see.

Tuesday’s phlebotomist (the one who draws blood for the blood work), was excellent. She is so gentle that it’s more like a mosquito bite (ha!) than a hornet sting. The chemo nurses were also very gentle; the current problem is that my veins are starting to protest being stabbed on a regular basis. They collapse, roll, and just plain disappear from sight. So the nurses have to look, evaluate, and coax my veins to stand up and be brave. I wish I could encourage my veins, but I’m the captain of the USS Chicken, so no help from me.

Today, at least at this writing, I’m feeling pretty good. Better than I have in many days. It feels good to feel good. Oh, I know that it’s the lull before the storm, but I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts. I’m still taking ibuprofen, but not every 6 hours like I was before, simply because I don’t need it that often. Sometimes I only need it once a day. I’m still working half days, and still resting at home once I get there. Now and then I’ll do some laundry, because it’s easy to throw some clothing in a metal box, and then 40 minutes later, throw it in another metal box. But for the most part, I’m quite friendly with the couch once I get home.

Before I forget, I’ll update on Mom & Dad. The scheduled procedure went remarkably well, no surprises at all, which makes surgery easy for everyone. Now it’s over to rehab for physical and occupational therapy, and then probably home by the end of the week. The illness was quite serious for several days, but after a barrage of unrelated tests, the issue has been found and is treatable. Once again, it looks like the end of the week will bring that one home as well. So both Mom & Dad will be home, with live-in help, and I’m feeling pretty darn good about that. So, I say thanks to V. and J. for coming to stay with Mom & Dad. I’m very grateful. I’m also grateful that if all this hospitalization had to happen, I’m glad it was on my off-chemo week, so I could visit with them and stay updated.

I am still so very grateful for all the continued support that I get. Thank you all for keeping me encouraged in this ever-changing adventure.

Addendum: As of this writing, the scheduled procedure has gotten an infection, so it's antibiotics and pain pills to the rescue. I did not go visit today, as both of us were worn out, but I'll try to visit tomorrow. The illness is getting much better, but (of course), there is a minor setback as well. Fortunately, it can be treated, so that's one less worry. Huh. Parents --who knew they'd be this unpredictable?

 
Comments:
You know, when I worked in a teaching hospital, one of the phlebotomists told me that the very best blood drawers/vein finders were ex-drug addicts. They knew every usable veing and how to get it to perk up from personal experience. /;+))) So, if someone a little rough around the edges comes to draw your blood, you may be pleasantly surprised. ;+))))

Glad you're feeling good. Hope it continues and that the 'rents bounce back and get home soon.
 
glad you're doing better and i hope you get an ex-druggie next time (no, that doesn't sound weird at all).
 
and yep, enjoy the lull. lulls are good.
 
I am happy that everything went off without a hitch, well, a minor hitch with your par's... You sound very upbeat as of this writing. Keep up the good work, and rest, rest, rest. You can never get enough rest. Especially when you have folks that will pitch in and help out. Gotta love help. Have a blessed day, my friend.
 
Sounds like resting up during the lull is the best idea. Save your energy for when you need it.

Parents: I say it's revenge for all the times we made them worry.
 
The Red Cross nurses suggested that I make sure I have plenty to drink beforehand so as to make finding and poking a hole in a vein is easier than when I'm dehydrated.

Not so good for me since I must be on the couch for 2 hours, needing to go potty after the first half hour and so am in agony for the next 90 minutes.
 
Hi Margaret -
I've been praying for you and your parents and I'm glad to read (except for the infection) that they are coming along and that you are having some good days. I have to agree with gatorperson about drinking a lot before being poked. My veins are really hard to find and a nurse told me to start drinking a lot the day before I go for blood work. Well I'm going on the 29th so I'll report back on my result. In the back of my mind I'm thinking perhaps it wasn't water she was referring to --- perhaps it was some type of alcholic beverage I should be considering --- that might work better --- or at least I wouldn't care when I got stuck! Perhaps we could conduct a study to see which works better - now that could be fun! Take care Margaret and I pray you and your parents continue to do well,
Love, Jo
 
A guy goes to his doctor complaining that his arm hurts. The doctor rolls up the guy's sleeve and is surprised to hear the arm say, "Hi, doctor, could you lend me $20? I'm desperate!" The doctor turns to his patient and says, "I see the problem -- your arm is broke!"

Oh all right. I couldn't think of any profound comment, and it seemed kind of plain to just say "Hi, Margaret!" That joke was the best I could do. Maybe I should get OH to help me with the humor.


Take care of yourself,
Mary
 
Hi, read Jo's note. Knew it had to be the Jo I know because only that Jo would be up at 5:24 in the morning. Thought you might like to know that Amanda S., (Didn't you know her at FW?) has a brand new baby son. You are continuously in my thoughts. DS
 
Hi Margaret,
Another Tuesday, so one more treatment down. Hope the people were as good this week in the poking and jabbing areas as they were last week.
Know that you are always in my thoughts.
Thanks for the smile Mary!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger