Margaretsnews
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
 

Yes, it was Chemo Tuesday yesterday. I got the good techs this time who used small needles, and well-aiming chemo nurses. Those pesky veins are getting sneaky these days and want to hide, not that I blame them. Now I get to look forward to a week with no chemo! And you know that I do.

This chemo gives me a red face, a strange rash, a bloated, pregnant-looking belly (oh, relax!), fabulous fingernails, and fatigue. Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays I literally sleep 13-15 hours a day (12 hours at night frequently), and I rest on the couch for the rest of the time. I’m also gaining weight. I told my doctor that I don’t eat enough to be gaining weight at this rate, and when he just looked at me, I allowed that all 40+ women say that, but when I recapped just what I do eat, he had to agree with me. He reminded me that fluid (in my lung, around my heart, in my feet), has weight and volume and perhaps that may be what’s showing up on the scale. Of course, he’s not concerned--he’s not the one who has to go shopping.

I still have swollen feet; I learned yesterday that it could be due to the chemo drug. One of the chemo nurses told me that every patient she’s had that was on the Gemcitobine gets swollen feet. Of course, the swelling could be caused by other issues as well, so we can’t rule anything out completely, but that info is good to have. I have noticed that foods with high sodium content tend to make it worse (surprise!) so I’m thinking that I probably should avoid them. Of course, that includes soup, most restaurant food, and all fast food. Guess I’ll have to survive on steamed chicken and broccoli. Huh. Guess again.

Since I can't put off the Mom and Dad update any longer, here it is: The scheduled procedure is healed enough to be at home, and doing very well. There is still a lot of rest and medicine to be had, which is frustrating (after all, once home, we should be all healed, right?). The illness has come home also, but I am sorry to report, has only gotten worse, and will not get better. Medicine will no longer heal, so it’s time to bring in home care and comfort. There are difficult days ahead. I am extremely grateful to V. and J. for all their help during this difficult time. If not for them, I’d be making decisions that I may be uninformed on or too sick to make. They have also been the advocates for my parents, making sure that they each got what they needed during their respective hospital stays, kept the house running, and kept people informed of progress and daily happenings. Saying “thank you” doesn’t nearly cover it, but it’s all I can do.

Thank you all for being here as well. I am still overwhelmed at the amount of support I get and very grateful to have it.

 
Comments:
I wish I could send something besides prayers, good thoughts and virtual margaritas.
 
As much as I love the virtual world that brought us all together, it sucks to have real, takes-time-to-drive-across it distance between us. I make some wonderful tasting low sodium foods(no that is not an oxymoron) that I would love to bring over for you. Some yummy soups and casseroles.I wonder how well they would travel.
Prayers and positive thoughts surround you always.
 
I wish for you nice dreams for the weekend. Sun, wafting breezes, gentle waves, Spartans bearing drinks of choice with massages optional.
 
Know people have you in their hearts. Even those you think don't.
 
You are in my prayers and constant thoughts. I hope you can feel your friends with you. DS
 
Say goodnight, Gracie...
 
Goodnight friend. Rest knowing you fought a courageous battle setting an example for us all.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger