Margaretsnews
Thursday, October 18, 2007
 

Remember Mom’s Advice


Today is Thursday and I’m at home, recuping after yesterday’s thoracentesis. Usually I go to work the day after, but yesterday was. . .oh, let’s call it “special”.

I took the Xanax so that I wouldn’t fight the surgery. Then I hopped into T.’s van so she could drive me there and back. Once we arrived, I signed some papers (could have been for the surgery or to have cement delivered, I don’t know), and then I was taken back to where the action happens. As usual, I changed into the hospital gown, hit the ladies’ room, and went into the surgical area. The procedure began and all went well for a few minutes. Dr. K. had the suction on “slow”, since my reputation had preceded me. So far, so good. And then the pressure began, along with the cough. And then I had to stop. So I told them to stop for just a minute so I could get a good breath, and maybe my chest would stop hurting. Dr. K. stopped –I actually felt him move away from me—and then in a minute we started again. For about 15 seconds. The pressure in my chest was too much, and I told them we just had to stop for good. So Dr. K. removed the equipment, and the very next thing I remember was lying on the gurney, flat on my back, confused and in pain. Well. This is new. “What happened?” One of the nurses sweetly replied that I’d fainted. With a smile on her face, she said, ”When you say that you’re ready to stop, you’re not kidding!” And we all had a laugh. Since I was in pain, I was trying find a more comfortable position, and realized that my pants were wet. Of course I had to ask. The sweet nurse kindly replied that when people faint, they generally do wet themselves. Y’all, I had peed all over myself when I fainted. No kidding. At least my socks stayed dry. And then I was offered some designer hospital wear (read: scrubs) for the ride home, for which I was very grateful. So y’all, there I was in pain, a puncture wound in my back, a cough, and wet from here down. Then, while those compassionate nurses were changing my pants, the nausea hit. Repeatedly.

Yeah, it was a special day, all right.

Eventually, I was able to withstand sitting up long enough for the nurses to get the rest of my clothes on-- yup, I’m over 40 and still can’t dress myself-- and wheel me out to T.’s van for the ride home. The nausea and vomiting continued until I could get some anti-nausea medicine in me. That stuff works! Then I was able to enjoy my dinner of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle soup and ginger ale.

And as promised, I’m counting my blessings: Thanks to T. for driving me, going to the store, babysitting me all day long, and petting my lazy dog. Thanks to Dr. K. who stopped the procedure when I asked him to. Thanks to those kind and wonderful nurses who made me feel like I was no trouble at all even though I was. Thanks to all who called and thought about me during what was a difficult day. And thanks to you for being here, laughing and crying with me.

 
Comments:
What a terrible day! Well, except for the socks. Socks rule?! And aren't nurses underpaid! I had no idea about that fainting thingie.

This inquiring mind wants to know: How, if you're barfing, can you keep the anti-nausea medicine in you? When I'm having an ice pick migraine, I have to go the suppository route, since I can't keep anything down long enough to migrate into the bloodstream.

Sounds like you're feeling better today than yesterday. I hope you're feeling even better tomorrow.
 
Oh Margaret. I'm sliding a virtual margarita down the bar toward you. (Virtual margaritas are a good way to psyche your body into relaxing without having to deal with a non-virtual hangover.)

What GP said. I hope tomorrow goes better!
 
Oh Margaret, how awful! I'm so glad that you have non-virtual friends there to help you get to and fro and other stuff as well.

And don't forget to count those dry socks in with those blessings! I hate wet socks.
 
Wet socks always make a miserable situation worse.
Wednesday sucked. I hope today is much better.
 
GP, I didn't even think about it, I just swallowed and hoped for the best!

Mary, thanks for the margarita, and the reminder of being thankful for dry socks.

And yes, Thursday was better.
 
As I've said before, you are the strongest most inspiring person I know and my prayers are with you constantly....I was hoping that the doctor was gentle - and he sounds as tho'he was.

I really love you, Shirley Phillips
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger