Margaretsnews
Friday, September 28, 2007
 

It’s Friday night, and I’ve been quite lethargic all day, like I’m literally running out of juice. Because I am. The chemo eats up all the cells in my blood stream, good and bad, and I coast on whatever’s left. The best way to describe it is to imagine wearing clothing made out of lead. The clothes are heavy and hard to move around in, but manageable for short periods. As long as I just sit and don’t move, I feel pretty good. But when I have to get up (and you know that I do), it’s quite an effort.

So far, the biggest effect of this chemo is the fatigue. I have noticed some puffiness here and there, some achiness, an odd itchy rash, and some acne-like bumps on my face; all pretty minor things. The fatigue is the worst on Fridays, but by Monday, I’m much, much better. I still have my hair, and there’s something else: my eyelashes are thicker than they’ve ever been. Quite a change from a year ago when I didn’t have any at all.

Yes, it’s been over a year of living with cancer. And I am finally taking care of something that should have been taken care of years ago. I’m making a will. Eventually, I’m going to need it, so now’s a good time. Boy, what a lot of people to think about: the executor, the trustee, the power of attorney, the health care power of attorney. And these people should not be chosen lightly: they are the ones responsible for making decisions on another’s behalf. Mine, in this case, so I want those people to know my wishes and carry them out as well as they can. And then there’s the personal property to deal with. Honestly, who wants my music? My old paperback books? My pretty red plates? It’s funny (and you know that I mean not funny at all) that I thought that I didn’t have much, really; just a small houseful of house stuff—ordinary clothing, regular furniture and appliances, nothing classic or antique, it’s just stuff. But it’s mine, and I have to decide what happens to it. The lazy dog is no help whatsoever. We even had a conversation about it:

Me: So who do you think will want this jar of seashells?

Dog:

Me: What about my favorite coffee cup?

Dog:

Somehow I get the impression that as long as he gets the occasional doggy cheese snack, all will be right in his world.

I have to say, that a lot is right in my world, too, even on these rough days. I have family and friends who care, plenty to eat, a job to go to, and hope for the future. Not too shabby, I think.

 
Comments:
Think about it Margaret. There are literally millions of people who don't have even one of the things that make your world right...
 
Yeah, dogs aren't much for conversations. Great listeners, though. Especially if you're holding a treat ;)
 
Sweetie, its a good thing you added that last part, about alot right in the world... I was starting to tear up... Naaaa JK.. You are a real trooper. Keep up the good work and you will beat this crap... I know it... You (and the dog) are an inspiration to us all, and YES we do love you...
 
You are really blessed to have that job to go to. Having something you pretty much have to do can get us through many a crisis, whether it's physical, emotional or situational. It forces us to pull out of whatever tailspin we're in and focus on something else. Not going to make the something else go away, but at least get it out of mind for a while.

My poor friend Suzanne is the one who's going to get stuck with everything if I predecease her. /;+) But we've known each other for so long that I know she'll handle it in a way that would satisfy me. Even if it's nothing big or valuable, it's our stuff and it has importance for us.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger