Margaretsnews
Saturday, September 22, 2007
 

Another one down


Tuesday’s chemo was one of the better ones, I must admit. The needle stick for the bloodwork was done by a very competent lab technician who was gentle, and the needle stick for the chemo IV was nearly painless. I was surprised; I’d forgotten that sometimes those pokes don’t make me claw the furniture. There was only one tiny incident, not even hardly worth mentioning, but I will anyway. About 5 minutes after the chemo was initially administered, my arm started to ache, like it had a very heavy weight on it with increasing pressure. I summoned my nurse, who adjusted the drip to a slower speed, and voila’. Problem solved.

I wish they could all be resolved that easily. It’s (finally) dawned on me that much of my life is out of my control, and spinning faster all the time. I seem to be having some coping issues here lately—too much anger, too much denial, too much being too-%$#@-tired-of-being-sick, too little sleep, and my family is paying for that. I yelled at my youngest son the other night for a teenage transgression, and once started, couldn’t stop and said WAYYYYY too much, most of which had nothing to do with him. I ignored the warnings and spewed through my own “stop talking or you’ll be sorry” filter so fast that I left a singed, gaping hole in it. Ouch. The next day I apologized for my outburst, but I still feel bad about it. Yes, I know my life is stressful. Yes, I know an occasional meltdown is to be expected. Yes, I know that I don’t have to hold it in/carry it/put a pretty face on it, although I try to. Because I’m insane, that’s why.

I learned something this weekend! I decided that I’d give this ol’ body a break from all the ibuprofen (stockholders, relax), and take some Aleve at night. It claims to give 8 -12 hour relief from pain, and guess how long I sleep! Coincidence? I think not. So, anyway, at 8 pm on Thursday night, I took 1 tablet on a full belly. (I already learned that lesson.) In a while, I noticed that I was not in pain and not coughing and was excited about finally getting some good, uninterrupted sleep. I awoke every hour, nearly on the hour, all night long. All night long. But, to be fair, I was pain free.

Today is Saturday, and I’m lying around the house. This chemo medicine doesn’t make me ache all over, but it does make me incredibly tired. The good thing is that by tomorrow, I’ll feel a little better, and by Monday, will be able to go to work . And then, of course, on Tuesday, I get hit again. Yeah, boy, I can’t wait.

Thanks for being here.

 
Comments:
Lying around the house might be more fun if we got you some cabana boys to peel grapes and fan you gently and all that kind of stuff. Of course, the dog might feel jealous if other people were taking your attention away from him. But I'll see if we can scrounge a couple of cabana boys up anyway.
 
There is no reason to feel badly for the parental outburst. We're entitled. Afterall they do drive us to the edge. I have had several "defining" moments myself. Thank goodness, children are resilent... it still goes in one ear and out the other ... and they love us inspite of ourselves. You're the best! Ann.
 
Margaret, I will be thinking only the very best thoughts for you tomorrow. Hope the same talented tech is by your side tomorrow and that you do not feel a thing.
You are an example of what courage really is.
 
Hey Margaret, I've been thinking about you. Hope yesterday's chemo went as well as last week! You get a break now, right?

((HUGS))
 
Hi Margaret,
I am attempting to be more computer literate. So I thought I would read your blog and respond so you would know that I was thinking of you. Hang in there baby and I will be back in touch. Love, Nan
 
Cheers to one session that was way better than expected! Hope the aftermath is also better. Maybe it was your body getting used to this one? Whatever, hang in there. We do think about you, even when we don't come and comment. Although, yeah, it's hard to know that without the comments. (((HUGS)))
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger