Margaretsnews
Tuesday, July 10, 2007
 

Another day. . .


There’s an old saying: another day, another dollar. Lately I think more in terms of another day, another chance. Another chance to slow down, to listen, to enjoy. Literally. I can’t walk fast and breathe too, so I slow down. I can’t talk as long (or as much) as I used to, so I listen. I am grateful to have another day, so I enjoy my work, my time at home, and all the people who help take care of me. I’m so darn well-behaved these days that it’s scary. But it’s not by choice, you understand. I can feel myself slowing down, degree by degree. I take Motrin by the handful, all day long (yes, the doctor knows) and that’s what’s keeping me running. Without it, I hurt and just generally feel lousy. And y’all know that I get cranky when I don’t feel well, and nobody wants to see that.

My appetite is pretty good; sometimes I get so hungry for my own cooking that I just have to cook a meal. I’ve cooked twice this week (yes, twice!) and really enjoyed eating those dinners. The cooking part was a challenge, because I have a hard time standing long enough, but the eating part was such a reward. I usually enjoy dining out, and when I’m too tired for that, I’m happy with a bowl of soup.

I’m still working full days, but I don’t know for how much longer. Half days are very appealing, but if I use my saved days now I won’t have them for later, when I may need them more. And, if I go ahead and succumb to that temptation, then ol’ Skippy may think that he’s won a round. Can’t have that. I tend to stay tired these days, whether it’s from the chemo or from the stupid cancer, I don’t know. Once again, I go to bed ridiculously early, and rarely sleep through the night. Oh, I’m tired enough to, I just don’t get the chance. It seems that my lazy dog needs to go out in the middle of the night and apparently no one opens a door like I do. Of course, just about the time I get back to sleep, there’s a “woof” at the door that no one can hear but me. Yup, I’m lucky that way.

I’ve been fortunate in lots of ways, of that there’s no doubt. I have good doctors, good medicine, and good friends everywhere. Thanks for being here. I still need all the help I can get.

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger