Margaretsnews
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
 

News

Finally, there is news. It’s not good news, so if you’re squeamish, stop reading.

The results of the CT scan on May 9 show that there are more spots on my liver, and the original spots have grown. The Alimta is not working. It is unclear at this point whether the Alimta slowed the growths, or if it was completely ineffective. We’ll never know.

So now I am on 3rd line chemo, a place that very few people reach. My new drug is Tarceva, available only through special order by doctors. It comes in pill form, and I’ll take one pill a day. I’ll go for a follow up visit every couple of weeks after starting the Tarceva, and later, once a month. After 3 months on Tarceva, I’ll have another CT scan to check on the progress. The major side effects are: rash on the face, neck, back and chest, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and fatigue. (I was told to hope for the rash; the people who get the rash tend to have success.) This drug has been shown to be effective in 20% of the people who take it (women have more success than men), and a very select few have very dramatic results: Asian women who have never smoked. I fit only one of those categories.

If the Tarceva does not work, my next step is to become a lab rat and join in research studies through Duke University or UNC-Chapel Hill. Once again, it’s not helpful to speculate or play “what if”, so I’m trying not to.

If there is good news, it’s that for now anyway, no more IV procedures. And I’ll get to keep my hair.

Thanks for being here. I wish the news was better.

 
Comments:
Damn. I'm sitting here trying very hard to delete my expletives out of consideration for whoever else might be reading this, and it's just not working.

Something is very wrong when the most supportive thing to say is I hope you get one hell of a rash.

I hate it that you have to wait three months for results. I think I'd go out tomorrow and sign up for rat duty. But thinking doesn't seem to enter into this stupid equation.

You WILL let me know when you need something. Right? Anything.
 
As BCB has already stated, Damn!

Whatever and whenever you want, just say the word.
 
I am trying so hard to find the right words right now....I think you know that our favorite one is coming to mind right now, girl.
I miss you. I am thinking of you every single day!

Hold on!
I love you.
deb
 
I say we all go find the bank on Main Street, stand in front of it and yell, "FUCK!!!"

Holler if you need anything. We'll be here.
 
"Yes, Alex, I'd like Hellova Rash for $100, please."

Hang in there. We've got plenty of shoulders to lean on.
 
Hey, it's me (from the B&G). I'd also like to wish you an itchy all-over rash, and I would even send you a giant bottle of calamine lotion. And hugs.
 
Hey me here from downstairs... and I just wanted to wish you the nastiest rash you could imagine. I hope you are scratching from head to toe.
We love you and pray for you daily. and keep your chin up... WE are here for you. Just say the word and I will do whatever you want.
Craig
 
I know you are the most pleasant person in this building...I would be raving mad at the world. We all want you to get the RASH of your life and we will all take turns trying to keep you comfortable...Margaret, go do something fun...come up with an idea and we'll make it possible...love you...isd
 
Hi Margaret -
You certainly have a wonderful group of friends but I'm not surprised, it's because of who you are --- you know what they say, it's not what you know it's WHO you know. Well I'm sorry to read that Skippy is just not taking the hint and leaving you alone, what he doesn't know is in the long run you will win and he'll be out the door. I wish you didn't need to fight so hard, but girl you make me so proud to know you. Just keep on fighting Skippy and let us (your friends and admirers) know what we can do for you.
Love, Jo
 
Thanks, y'all. All the CBs, the ISDs and the FWs (y'all know who you are!) are such a fantastic support group, and I am so very glad and grateful to have every one of you. Yes, even you over there.
 
Margaret... I never knew you were an asian woman... lol
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger