Margaretsnews
Monday, April 30, 2007
 

It's Monday!


It’s another Monday, and another weekend survived. My weekend was pretty good, although I still need to remember that I have limits. Oh, I pushed them when I was a kid, is it any surprise that I push them now? On Saturday, my employer sponsored a 5 K walk for health , so of course I went, KNOWING that I could not walk the entire 5 K (it’s about 3 miles), but thinking that I could walk a little. (There I was thinking again—when will I learn?) I walked about a quarter of a mile. I was exhausted and worthless for the rest of the day. Then, since I’m a slow learner, I went strawberry picking with my family on Sunday. I picked a few berries and was wiped out after about 30 minutes. Thanks to Mom and Dad and youngest son who together picked enough berries so we could eat some now and freeze some for later. Oh, and thanks, Dad for buying the berries. My $13 really wouldn’t have covered it.

Also this weekend, I read in the local paper that “chemo brain” is a REAL condition, which is a mixed blessing, at best. Is it better to know that the forgetfulness, lack of concentration, the lack of immediate recall, and the slow rate at which thoughts come is all to be expected? And doesn’t it make sense that chemotherapy WOULD affect the brain? After all, look at what it does to the body; it’s probably a miracle that those of us on chemo can think at all, much less hold jobs, drive, shop, & feed ourselves. Although some of us feed ourselves cookies. And chocolate milk.

All in all, a good weekend. Most of my days are good, weekend or not. Except for being tired (regular or extra), I feel pretty good. I’m not in pain, not depressed, not sad, and not passively waiting. I’m generally happy, very grateful for the blessings I have, and still mad enough to insult the cancer every chance I get. I’m working, doing laundry, shopping when absolutely necessary and mostly letting the housework go. Eventually vacuuming becomes crucial, lest we drown in dog hair (the seasonal shedding has begun!). When the dust gets thick enough to write messages in, then it’s time for it to go. We laugh at clutter. We scoff at dirty dishes. We happily ignore unopened mail, especially bills. Eventually, it all gets taken care of, although never on the same day, mind you. See? It’s the good life, I tell you! Ok, so maybe not THE Good Life, but A Good Life anyway. Honestly, if I had the energy to keep up, I would. (Well, maybe.) But I don’t and I can’t let it bother me. So if you come to visit, expect a little clutter and a few dishes in the sink. And we will sit on the couch, eat cookies, and ignore it all.

 
Comments:
The one good thing about a crisis is it forces you to reorganize priorities. Somehow a little dust and a few weeds just aren't that important.

And if I came to visit, it would be to visit - not critique the housekeeping.
 
Eating cookies with a glass of milk.. sounds like an excellent plan to me.
My favorite magnet on the refrigerator says "You can touch the dust, but please don't write in it."
PS. Happy Birthday to you!
 
Happy Birthday, Margaret!

I left a message for you over at the B&G. [grin]

Hope it's a wonderful day.
 
Happy Birthday from me too! I hope you have a great one!
 
Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday Dear Margaret
Happy Birthday To You
And a dear you are - listen you only have to name the dust bunnies and they now become pets. Great pets that you don't have to feed or walk. If you name them using the first initial of the room they're in it's easier to keep track - so Fred and Flora in the Family room and Bob and Ben in the Bedroom - you get the idea. I hope you had a wonderful day - a wonderful person deserves that. Talk to you soon,
Love, Jo
 
Hope your birthday was a day of extra cookies! Meant to say Happy Birthday before I went to bed and old age took over so hope it was a good day for you. Love, DS
 
So glad you are feeling okay...and not too tired. Still can't believe that you work as much as you do. Life is good...and when I see you do all that you do, I know that LIFE is good. Thanks for the updates and your attitude is still unbelievable....nancy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger