Margaretsnews
Monday, March 26, 2007
 

The Procedure

Today was the day I had the thoracentesis. That’s the big word that means “meeting with Mr. Needle”. Oh, I was trying to avoid it, but I got talked into it anyway. The shortness of breath, pressure in my chest, and general discomfort were pretty good arguments in favor of, and I didn’t have a rebuttal. As far as procedures go, it was pretty minor. I received a shot of painkiller (why does THAT hurt so much?), and didn’t feel any pain after that at all. The doctor inserted a catheter which was attached to a tube which was attached to a suction device, while I just sat and waited. I felt a little pressure now and then, but no pain. Before the procedure started, the doctor had told me that she estimated 2 liters of fluid in my lung (which is a LOT), and actually extracted 1 liter, but the rest wouldn’t come out at all. After the 1 liter was out, I felt some increasing pressure in my lung, and we stopped the procedure until the pressure lessened. After that, no more fluid was forthcoming, so we stopped the whole thing. After we were finished, I was taken in for a chest x-ray, and then was released. Thanks to T. for driving me there and for bringing me home.

I expected to feel better immediately, which was what everyone told me would happen, but I didn’t feel better. Even a couple of hours later, I didn’t feel better. At this writing, I’m still uncomfortable and now with a puncture wound. Great.

I saw the liter of fluid that was extracted –wow, no wonder I was miserable!—and was amazed that there was still that much left inside. The doctor told me that the fluid may disappear, or that I may have to come back for a repeat performance. With the way my luck’s been running lately, I know where to place my bet, don’t you?

So that’s the latest news. Thanks for being here.

 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger