Margaretsnews
Thursday, March 08, 2007
 

It's Thursday!

The last chemo treatment was 2 weeks ago today, and the next one is a week away. All this week, I’ve been feeling pretty good, and eating well, and working full days. Today I was tired. No, more than tired; exhausted, as though I’d been up all night. My bed was calling to me as I got dressed for work, promising comfort and quiet. I thought that if I could just get to work and have some coffee, that I would just perk right up. Guess what? I was wrong again. I struggled through the morning, even after coffee and a couple of snacks. After a little rest and a little lunch, I was feeling much better and worked the whole day after all. But for a while there, the beast earned a few points.

In the last post, I mentioned that I have fluid in my lung. At times, it was very painful, especially when lying down. A couple of times, I had pain under my heart, I had stabbing pains when I tried to breathe, and it felt like my left lung was frozen in a vice grip. When I got up and moved around a little, all the pain vanished. It would be gone for days, but it sometimes came back at night. Maybe it’s my imagination, but it seems to be getting better now, even without treatment. (I really

don’t want to see Mr. Needle. That can only mean more trouble for me.) The only pain I’ve had in the last couple of days is the pain in my back whenever I sneeze, so I avoid that whenever possible. And then I swear when I can’t avoid the sneeze. (Is anyone surprised?)

Sometimes I just have to laugh at my “chemo brain” (It’s either laugh or cry, and crying ruins my make-up, sooo…) . One day last week, I was working on a project for my son, and I was trying to add 49 and 6. Couldn’t do it. I knew that I had been taught how to add numbers, and I knew that I was capable of adding these two. I also knew that I was never going to get the right total. I finally counted on my fingers. Yeah, laugh all you want to. Some days are just like that in Chemotown.

Thanks for being here. Every day, you all inspire me to keep moving.

Addendum: It's never smart to poke the bear, even inadvertantly. Thursday night was painful, thanks to the the fluid in my lung. I awoke in the middle of the night in pain. I hurt, couldn't breathe, and could only lie flat on my back in semi-comfort. Fortunately, my white knight came to my rescue in the form of liquid Motrin. (It works FAST!) Ahhh.. much better. Maybe it's time to make that appointment with Mr. Needle after all. (Sigh.)

 
Comments:
So.... what is the answer to 49 and 6? I would try using my fingers but I don't have that many... HA. Ann.
 
You don't need me to tell you about courage -- I know you realize you've gotta do what needs to be done. But if you want a hand to hold while you do it, let me know.

I'll tell you what I tell another friend who's afraid to fly: Hey, all you have to do is sit there; it's not like you have to fly the damn plane.

Hang in there.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger