Margaretsnews
Thursday, February 22, 2007
 

The new chemo

I’ve been feeling pretty good lately and healing up nicely from the last chemo & radiation regimen. My back has a nicely tanned, slightly textured spot where there used to be an open wound. I’m more energetic than I was 2 months ago, although I still have to walk slowly and go to bed early. My hair is growing quickly, it’s VERY soft and gray, and still looks sassy. Who knew gray could look this darn good? My appetite is back, I eat often and adult-size portions of food. And best of all, dark chocolate and I are buds again!

And so it’s no surprise that today, I got to stand on the tracks of the 2:10, and wait for the “A” train. Yup, today was the beginning of another round of chemo, this time using Alimta, my new drug of choice. It went pretty well, with one tiny exception. You-know-who was supposed to take anti-nausea pills yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Yesterday was no problem. Someone forgot the pills today and paid for it in the chemo lounge this afternoon. Yup, about 5 minutes after the start of Alimta, I got that “hot all over” feeling. And then my mouth started watering, and I was dreading the next phase. So I summoned my appointed nurse (before I lost my lunch), and she stopped the Alimta. Did she disconnect me and send me home? No. She gave me some Decadron and when it was gone, I got the rest of the Alimta. And then I was sent home, and felt fine. (I still have the rough days on the way, though.) My reward? To come back in 3 weeks and do it all over again.

Thanks for being here. I feel as though y’all have been carrying me for a long time, and I appreciate it so much. I could not do this alone.

 
Comments:
Hi Margaret,

This is Barb from Seattle. Just wanted to say "hi". It is like I have been a silent observer on the west coast, but that is because our whole internet system messed up this year and Bruce kept forgetting to forward your info to the new system. So...........although appearing to be silent I have had you, your dad, your mom and your sons in my thoughts and prayers constantly wishing you all the best. Remember we are all here, all the time even if miles away. Take care and hang in there.

Love,
Barb
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger