Margaretsnews
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
 

I’m having a hard time getting excited over this new round of chemo. I know it’s a good thing having options, and I’m grateful to have treatment available. But I know what’s coming, some of it anyway, and I’m not looking forward to that. These new drugs have different side effects than the last ones, and they may be more intense for all I know. My oncologist calls them 2nd line chemo drugs, and I’m getting those since the first line didn’t work as well as we’d hoped. I equate it to antibiotics: we always get the weakest medicine first, and if that doesn’t work, we get stronger stuff.

I have made a decision regarding the research study. I’m not going to participate. The benefits didn't outweigh the risks. I read the material, and wanted to confer with a trusted friend to see if I was reading the material correctly. As it turned out, we both read and understood the same things, and were concerned about the same things, and came to the same decision. (Thank you, E.!) I was asked recently if there was a chance that I’d get a placebo. The answer is NO. My health can’t afford one, and probably neither can anyone else who participates in this study. It’s my understanding that everyone in the study is in the same boat that I’m in; meaning that first line chemo didn’t work, and we need different treatment for this go-round. But that’s all moot now, since I'm not going to do it.

So, here I go again. The next visit with the doctor is on Thursday, when we'll pick a chemo day, and go over my questions, and whatever else there is to do. This time, there is some pre-treatment stuff I have to do: a shot and some pills before I ever get the chemo. You know, new regimen and new stuff to do. Of course. Y'all put on your seatbelts. It could be a bumpy ride.



 
Comments:
Just thought I would check in before I call it a night. Sounds like you and E. coming to the same decision means you have chosen the right path. Don't know why it just came to me. I will tell you the same thing I used to tell someone close going through Chemo "Keep on Truckin". Anyway this mess just hasn't accepted who it's dealing with!!!!!!!God Bless, DS
 
Margaret - just wanted to let you know that I do pop in here every so often to check up on you. Also, while you are always in our thoughts, its nice to see you around at the Grill.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger