Margaretsnews
Friday, February 16, 2007
 

The doctor visit yesterday went well. There were no surprises, I learned some good information, and got prepped for the upcoming chemo. Oh boy, this time, I get a shot every 9 weeks, and I’ll be taking some meds during chemo week. ( More stuff to remember to do—I’ll probably have sticky notes all over the house to remind me. Apologies in advance to my roommates!)

In a recent previous blog entry, I mentioned that I equated 2nd line chemo drugs with the 2nd level antibiotics—I thought they were more potent, more intense. I was wrong in that assumption. 2nd line chemo is just that; different medicines because the first drugs didn’t work.

My new regimen will be chemo every 3rd week (just like I did back in the summer), starting this Thursday. My new chemo drug is Alimta, which will take about 30 minutes to administer, so my entire afternoon won’t be spent at Happy Juice Junction. I’ll be able to drive myself to and from treatments, too. I asked if the side effects of the new chemo drug were listed in order of probability, and the doctor said not necessarily. They are listed in order of what the doctors can measure, and then what patients report the most. The side effects listed are: decreased platelet, white, and red blood cell counts, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss --really??--constipation, hair loss, mouth sores and a few more I can't remember. I might get them all, or I might not get any. Can’t wait for that, you betcha!

I told my doctor that I had decided against participating in the research study, and he told me that I didn’t qualify for it anyway. My liver spot is too small. So now I don’t have to feel guilty about not helping to provide data for cancer research. Good, it’s one less thing on the plate.

I am feeling optimistic again, now that I have a plan. I'm feeling strong again, since y'all are still here in my corner. All I have to do is show up on chemo day, right? I can do that.
 
Comments:
Hey Margaret -
You are one amazing woman - you make this next walk through hell sound like a stroll in the park - we all know different and love you for making it easier on us. I know you're going to get through this so you are right to feel optimistic. After all it will be so nice to say "told you so!".
Love, Jo
 
All I can say is "You're A Great Lady" and we are all beside & behind you....Please let us know if you need anything...we promise we will try to do it....nancy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger