Margaretsnews
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
 
Wednesday


Radiation is over!! And I am doing cartwheels in my mind, just thinking about it. What a relief! This is better than the big exam being over. Better than the big presentation being over. Better than labor pains…. well, maybe not quite. Anyway, in just a couple of weeks, I’ll be able to eat whatever I want, and the burn on my back will heal. And honestly, I don’t know which of those things I want more. Fortunately, I don’t have to choose, I get both!! I have a follow up appointment with the radiation doctor at the end of the month, and then I can say good-bye to him for good.

I have an appointment with my oncologist on January 8, and I’m hoping that he’ll have a plan for me regarding surgery. I’ll know more after that visit. I think (uh-oh, there I go again!) that I’ll have about a month to regain strength and weight before the surgery, but that’s just my idea. I could be wrong.

In the meantime, I’m eating more and I had 2 cups of coffee today! Meat and starchy foods are still the hardest to get down, veggies (raw or cooked) go down OK; I have not tried fruits yet. I still eat a lot of soup, and I have not had vanilla pudding in days. I don’t miss it, either! The indigestion is better; I still burp a LOT after eating, but not as much as 2 weeks ago, and it doesn’t hurt like it did earlier, either. That’s another thing I won’t miss when this is all over.

Something else I have not had in a while: Ibuprofen. I’d been on that ‘round the clock since about April because I felt much better and didn’t cough so much when I took it. Several days ago, I remembered that I had not taken my usual morning dose, and then realized that I didn’t hurt much. It seemed like a good idea to just see how long I could go without taking any, and at this point, it’s been just over a week. Today has been particularly hard, with lots of coughing and pressure in my chest, so I may take some at bedtime. We shall see.

Thanks for being here. It’s good to celebrate with the ones that kept me moving forward. Now we can rest for a little while.
 
Comments:
Yay, Margaret! Glad you've cleared that last hurdle!

My motto for this week is to accentuate the positive. As J&B say, Nothing but good times ahead, right?
 
btuda,

Well, it's not quite the last hurdle; I still need surgery and probably more chemo after that, y'know, in case I have any money left.

But the radiation is O-V-E-R!! And THAT, my friend, is worth celebrating!!

Yeah, nothing but good times ahead!
 
Having finally had the opportunity to actually SEE you and not just read the words you write, I can say that ol' skip is just about beat. He gave it a mighty struggle and just about had what he wanted but, fighter that you are, he is all but done. Even the puny little thing coming up is just about an anti-climax considering what has happened to now.

You are the picture of good health. Your sense of humor prevailed, your smile is radiant, your skin glows. You, my dear Margaret, have won. I know there are still a few steps to take but the battle is won. You called in support and it didn't need adjustment so from the start it was "fire for effect."

I am so proud of you. You are a real warrior, Margaret Desern.
 
Celebrate away.

And I probably should have said, "that which hurdle you last cleared," but that sounds more like a really bad Jane Austen rip-off, doesn't it?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger