Margaretsnews
Thursday, December 21, 2006
 
A better week!

I know, I know, no posting in a week. There’s just no news. I’ve been working ½ days, getting radiation every day, resting often, and letting a lot of things slide. I do have to say that this week has been somewhat better than last week, treatment-wise, that is. Chemo Monday went much, MUCH better this week, and next week I’ll learn if I have one more chemo or if I’m through with it for this phase. I have 6 more radiations to go, if they don’t kill me, and then I’m through with those. Permanently, I hope. The radiation burn on my back is really looking nasty now. It’s still 6 -7 inches long, and 4 -5 inches wide. It’s beginning to itch a lot, even though I put cream on it every night. The burn on the front is not so bad; it looks like a medium sunburn.

Food is still an issue. Can’t eat anything cold or hot, anything with texture or spice (that includes salt & pepper), can’t have fruit, nuts, or meat, and dairy products are iffy, at best. Everything hurts to eat, but some things hurt much less than others. So what am I eating? Jell-o. Lots of chicken soup. Soft boiled or scrambled eggs. Almost-room-temperature cottage cheese. Some cream of mushroom or potato soup, but the added milk sometimes upsets my stomach. (And sometimes doesn’t.) I can also eat instant pudding and tapioca pudding, ditto on the milk. I was craving French fries the other day, and bought a fast food sandwich to go with them. Oh, I took a fry, and chewed it, and it was delicious. And then I swallowed it. Little ouch. And then I had another. Chewed it and chewed it until it was mush, and then swallowed. Bigger ouch. I think I gave up on fry # 4. And the sandwich was just a joke. I ended up giving it and the rest of the fries to my son, who happily gobbled them down. (That’s the 2nd meal of mine he’s enjoyed! I think I see a pattern here.)

Along those same lines, I’m losing a bit of weight. Don’t panic, it’s only a couple of pounds. And I like the new weight, but it won’t be here long. Once I can eat real food again, it’ll be gone in a flash. Really. So I’m going to enjoy this while I can, and relish in the knowledge that I won’t be gaining those 5 -7 holiday pounds this year! (And cursing it all the while, too, because I can’t eat any goodies!)

My hair is looking good these days. (Well, compared to not having any!) It’s about ¼” long, and what’s not white is black. It feels like the soft side of Velcro, and is longer on the top than on the sides. I still wear the wig when I’m out and about, mostly just to avoid attention. At home, I wear a bandanna because my head still gets cold. And I’m reconsidering coloring it when it’s long enough…this black & white look could be interesting! We shall see.

Thanks for being here. It’s good to share good (or even non) news with y’all!
 
Comments:
Hi Margaret -

I'm glad I waited to write - you sound so much better this week and I'm so happy for these non-news times.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you don't need another chemo treatment and I pray these last 6 radiations pass quickly for you. I'm guessing once they stop you'll be able to enjoy food again. In the meantime I agree you might as well take some pleasure in the weight loss.

I hope you know that you are in my thoughts every day -

Love,
Jo
 
Hmmm.

Turned into a skinny, chicken soup-jello zebra.

Manoman, what a sight that must be.

Say goodnight, Gracie.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger