Margaretsnews
Wednesday, November 01, 2006
 
Finally, some news!

Yesterday was the day of the doctor visits. On the first visit, I had another CT scan to show the exact location of the tumor in my lung, and then I was marked with an X in 3 places. This is necessary to know where to aim the radiation. There is one mark on my right side, one on the left, and one in the middle. I understand the one on each side, but I don’t know why there is one in the middle. (I’ll call & find out.) It’s almost exactly over my heart. I’ll get the permanent markings--tattoos, actually--next week. The tattoos won’t be hearts, or flowers or anything fun like that, just tiny blue dots. Bummer. When I saw the temporary marks, I got a little panicky. Suddenly this was just all too real and too much to deal with; much like my reaction when I was first told that I had cancer. (You know, the “holy *%^#” reaction.) But then I remembered that this is not news; I’ve known about this part all along, and this is just the next phase of treatment.

I had the consultation with my oncologist also, and he reported the news. The CT and PET scans show that the tumor is not growing. The PET scan (which uses “glow in the dark juice”), showed that the tumor glowed a bit less and in a smaller area. There is something around the tumor that is non-cancerous; it could be scar tissue, or it could be a bit of pneumonia. The scan also shows that the cancer has not spread. All good news, y’all!

And that brings me to the new schedule. (drum roll, please…) The new schedule will be 1 day of chemo + radiation, then 4 days of just radiation, for 6 weeks. So every weekday I’ll go get a treatment, for a total of 30 treatments. I’ll start in 2 weeks. Is anyone surprised that I don’t want to go? It’s something new and different, and I don’t know how my body will react to all that. Of course, the “solo” chemo treatments went fairly well; each one seemed to be a little less draining on me than the one before, so maybe this will work like that too. Hey, it could happen!

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to give a complete update. Thanks SO much for being here with me, and pulling me out of my scaredy-cat funk. I am very grateful for those who keep me strong, and if you’re here, you’re one of them. Thank you.
 
Comments:
First of all, the only tattoo that counts is the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Them other things are just marks for the sharpshooters. Shucks, woman, I thought you'd figured that out already.

When we went to the Go Noi Island, there was a rope across the river we held on to so that we wouldn't get swept downstream. That was a novel idea: getting swept downstream - we carried 80 to 120 pounds of gear going over - like we would do anything but sink but I digress.

All right people. Listen up! You have two weeks before it gets serious. Get ready to spend some significant time thinking about and helping our girl when she needs it most.

We are your rope, Warrior. You WILL NOT get swept downstream.
 
Hi from the great white (well, wet right now) north. I have been staying up to date with your blog and I have to tell you how grateful I am that you are doing this. Life is a bit crazy and it is great to be able to check in with your progress and "hear" your voice. You are an inspiration to me, dealing with the crap that comes up every day. Just remember, the bravest thing you did was to look this thing in the eye and let it know that you were going to win.

I'm sending some goodies up via Enola, so make sure she doesn't keep them all to herself. I'm stealing this but...stay strong, be brave, wait for the signs and remember to leave good news alone...
Love
Gillian
 
Hey girl. I'm glad I found your blog because I've been wondering how you are doing. Things get to be too much, you just tell whomever is to blame that you know people with shovels.
 
You know, you may be getting support from others through this blog, but you're also leaving a trail for people who have yet to go through the cancer thing. Well, that sounded dumb. What I mean is that you're demystifying the process and setting a very good example of how to deal with the whole ordeal with style and grace.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger