Margaretsnews
Thursday, October 26, 2006
 
Wednesday

What can I say about yesterday? Lots, in fact, and so I will. Yesterday was the day that I had the PET scan and the CT scan and the consultation with yet another doctor regarding my care and recovery. What a day.

When I arrived for the PET scan, I had to register at the desk, and was given a form to look over and a red pen. My instructions were to check over the form and to circle anything that was incorrect. I’m grading my own paper, I thought--hehe--good for me. However, I was not the one who turned in that particular paper, for it had all kinds of errors on it. According to Rex Hospital, I’m married, unemployed, and use my husband’s work phone for my own. (I wonder where the info comes from—this was a computer-generated form!) While I was correcting those errors, a woman came into the room with beautiful, wavy, dark brown waist-length hair. Yes, I stared. Pretty, pretty hair. (Sigh…) When it was my turn back at the desk, we corrected all the errors, and the woman told me that my co-pay for today’s visit was $660. And then she asked if I’d like to take care of that now. Oh, yeah, I’ll just whip out the ol’ checkbook, no problem.

Then it was my turn to get juiced up. I walked down the hall, found the right room, and got the glow-in-the-dark juice, napped for an hour, and then was assisted onto the scanner. I got scanned for a few minutes, and then went home. So far, so good.

I had a little lunch, drank the CT contrast liquid, and waited for the next appointment of the day. FYI: if you ever have to drink the contrast liquid, get it cold, and use a straw. It tastes like barely-flavored chalk milk that’s slightly lumpy. I had 2 of those. Lucky me. Then I went to the CT appointment and got scanned again. Afterward, I talked with a very nice doctor regarding the chemo and radiation schedule. I have 2 more appointments before we start that, however; and I’ll know more about when & how much after those appointments. I will say this: my original understanding of 5 days of chemo + radiation was wrong. There will be more. I don’t know if the doctor who told me that was incorrect, or if I misunderstood, or if the plan changed after seeing the PET and CT scan films. And it doesn’t matter.

Chapter Two. Now it begins, ready or not. I’m a little (OK, a lot) apprehensive, uncertain, uncomfortable, and all those other words that are euphemisms for scared. I’m quite ready to take my toys and go home.

Thanks for being here. I think this chapter is going to be a little different than the first; I may be leaning hard on some of you. And if I get out of line, just remember: it’s not me, it’s the treatments. Then smack me.
 
Comments:
We have been waiting since July for you to start leaning. Since we have had so much time, we have made a very nice place for you to land.

It is on the bank of a beautiful river in a tree-lined valley. The bank is grassy with a few little yellow flowers poking their heads up and enjoying the warm Fall sunshine. The riverbank below the grass is covered with small, round pebbles and some larger round rocks (The small pebbles are good for skipping on the water). The river is running clear, cold, and pure - just dip your cup in and take a big swallow.

In a few places close to the edge of the water some grass is growing and it extends into the water so that you can see it waving in the current. Down the river a little way is a stand of cattails that have opened and their down floats away on the gentle breeze. A Red-winged Blackbird calls his shrill chirp to his mate near the top of the cattail patch. Across the river, a Mule Deer doe is watching you while her youngster born last March takes a sip of the cool water. Raising his head, the water drips off his chin splashing into the river; they turn and disappear into the Cottonwoods and Aspen that line that bank.

Out in the river a few yards from shore is a riffle defining some bottom structure. Ol' Mr Brown lives down there. He chases interlopers like the Brookies and young Rainbows off because that is his place and he's been living there for at least fifty years. Fly Fishers have tossed hundreds for feathery enticements his way but he is too wise for all of them. He knows a nice fat grasshopper or a nice little damsel fly from some sorry bit of fluff and feathers. The others? Shoot! They can't resist the most foolish of creations but not Mr. Brown.

So, our wonderful girl, here is your resting spot. Tired? Hurting? Let me help you: Just lean back, close your eyes, rest your tired body in the pillow-soft grass. Listen to the splashing of the water on the rocks. Feel the Sun warm your face. Breathe in the perfume of paradise. Hear the Red-wings call...
 
Dear Margaret -

It's hard to know what to say so I can't even imagine how hard it is for you to have to deal with all of this - Mr. Brown's place sounds like a really great place - have you started packing?

What I can say (since you have some time before this next chapter starts) let's plan some play dates. I've got a few ideas that you may like.

You know you're in the hearts, minds and prayers of a lot of people - we all want to feather that soft place for you to, not fall - we won't let you fall, but to land and rest.

Love, Jo
 
Jo,

You're ON!!
 
You have such nice posters!

I hopped over here from the Bob and Jenny show and wanted to say hello.

I can only imagine how difficult some days are, and I appreciate you putting your experiences out there to share. I'm learning a lot. I had no idea that the treatment process took so many hours.

Take care! And whenever you need a pick me up, give a shout. Surely I can round up something half-way witty to say.
 
Oooh, while you're making play dates, can I play too? I haven't gotten to see you in waaaay too long!! I know how to share and play cooperatively! ;) Just let me know when (or if) you can fit me into your busy schedule. I'm even willing to share a play date with someone else (as long as you and they don't mind). I miss you!

Love you!
Molly
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger