Margaretsnews
Friday, October 20, 2006
 
It's FRIDAY !!

Yes, it's finally Friday, and while I have no news, I do have some random items of interest--well, interestng to me, anyway.

I have noticed that while I recover from the chemo and the shot relatively quickly, I feel like I’m running at about 85% most of the time, even a week or two after chemo. Some days are better than others. I tire easily, I cough a lot, my general endurance is just not there. I’m probably the only person on the planet that gains weight during chemo—it’s stress eating, I know, but the calories don’t care. They love me.

After the shot, my bones always hurt, but sometimes it hurts differently. This time, my skin hurt to touch it. The skin on my arms hurt, the skin on my chest hurt, the skin on the back of my neck hurt. I have no idea why.

I’ve also noticed that all aromas are more acute; and most of the time offensive. Natural smells like freshly cut grass, food cooking, and fruits are wonderful. Chemical smells like perfume, cleaning products or gasoline are terrible; they make my throat dry, I cough, and it's hard to breathe.

I run hot and cold these days (and nights). I don’t know if it’s my age (I’m over 40), or if it’s the chemo. I'm not sure which I hope it is!

I still have hair on my arms, but the eyebrows and eyelashes are just about gone. Thank God for Maybelline and Covergirl; otherwise I’d be completely invisible. It’s funny (and you know I mean “not funny at all”) how blank a human face looks when the lashes and brows are gone; there’s no definition anywhere. This is not the year to take the family portrait!

My fingernails are growing like mad. They are long, strong, and for the first time in memory, I’m having to cut them. I don’t know whether the chemo or my job gets the credit for this one. I don't even care; I LOVE having nice nails.

I'm sorry to report that there are no cravings this time. Nothing is particularly appealing, and nothing is particularly repulsive. At this point, I'm back to having coffee, chocolate, cookies, and all the other things I like to eat. (For a few days after chemo, all those things are completely unappealing. Thank God THAT doesn't last!)

I also thank you all for being here. The hard days are easier because I have a whole community of people who are holding me up, patting my back, and pulling me through. Thank you. Yes, you over in the corner, you too.
 
Comments:
Hi Margaret -

It's good reading your blog a week after a treatment because you are feeling better and it comes across in your words.

And still no cravings, perhaps we shouldn't be looking for extremes maybe we should just look for something that answers the question: "You know what I'm in the mood for?" - all you really need then is an appetite!

I must say that even at 85% you are still head and shoulders above most people I know.

I hope this is a good week for you and we'll talk soon.

Love, Jo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger