Margaretsnews
Saturday, September 02, 2006
 
The shot


Part of my cancer treatment involves getting an injection the day after the chemo. Since my chemo day is on Friday, the injection must be given on Saturday. OK, this is not a problem; I've been giving shots to my son for years. I can do this.

Oh, I was all gung-ho at the doctor's office, all brave and macho: "Of course I can do this, it's just a little shot, right? Geez. How hard can it be?"

When will I learn??

On Saturday morning I was ready to inject myself. Sort of. At the last minute, I wondered why I ever thought it was a good idea for me to do this. If someone else did it, I wouldn't have to look. If someone else did it, then I wouldn't have to. If someone else did it, then I could be real brave. Too late for all that. Bite the bullet, girl, get it done.

I picked a good spot on my thigh, cleaned with an alcohol wipe and put the needle in. My hand started shaking, and the needle came out. "&@&^$#", I said. So I prepped another spot, and tried again. Didn't get the needle all the way in and again, it came right out. "Double $#@*^!", I said louder. (I guess I was hoping that the syringe would hear me and straighten up.) "Ok, girl, what's so hard about this? Just stick it all the way in, push the plunger and be done. Quit being such a wimp." And so I prepped another spot on the side of my thigh, stuck the needle all the way in, and finally got all the medicine in. It didn't hurt nearly as much as the first two, so at least I know the "sweet spot". Only two more of those to go. I hope I do better for them.

I now have renewed respect for my son, who takes several shots a day and never, ever complains. He's my hero.
 
Comments:
Well, well, well. Brave ol' Margaret. This was the best one so far. Three tries to stick yourself. Next time you will get Mr. JT to take care of the hard part, that or don't think about it. Just git 'er done.

At least you got the medicine in you instead of being squirted over your shoulder into the sink or past your thigh onto the floor. Now we don't have to worry any more about you not having white blood cells to see you through to the next dose of "happy juice." Regardless, this report does conjure up a genuinely funny sight: This crazed, (mostly) bald-headed treasure of ours all foul-mouthed and sharp tongued over stabbing herself with a li'l ol' needle.

What do they say in the ad? "I'm ready!" Well, you really are ready. Sort of.

Yawl funny.

Ha.
 
Hey Margaret-

They say practice makes perfect so now that you found the "spot" no more practicing OK?

I can't even watch someone else get stuck so to say I'm impressed is an understatement. I'm not surprised that your son has also faced and overcome a challange - he's got your genes - the apple didn't fall far from the tree!

I hope you're resting,

Love, Jo
 
I hate that it is taking the big "C" to cause you to do all of this - but, I can truly say you are a very brave WOMAN....I could take a few lessons from you. You know that if you need anything, please let your friends in ISD or anyone at NCGA know and we will see if we can get it done. Hope the dinners are great...those teenage boys will probably eat anything....keep smiling....nancy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger