Margaretsnews
Friday, September 01, 2006
 
The 2nd round

It's Friday afternoon, and I'm home, safe and sound. Well, safe anyway. The drugs I get make me feel drunk, slow, and silly; for a little while it's kind of fun, so I enjoy that while I can. Today went MUCH better and faster than the first round, and now that the chemo administer-ers know how much and how slow, we can get this show on the road. My job, apparently, is to lie there and doze, which I can do.

The funny thing today was this: My dad had volunteered to drive me to my treatment this morning. He arrived about 5 minutes early, and of course I was not quite ready. I answered the door in my robe, no makeup, and this ol' bald, scruffy, stubbly head, and TA-DA!! There's my "bro" with him. (more about him later.) Dad said, "Good morning! I brought Mark here to surprise you!" Well. He certainly did. Why they didn't hightail it out of there is beyond me.

This weekend will be the days when I'll be tired and achy, but I'll keep the blog updated as well as I can. I may have someone post for me. In addition to keeping my cheering squad informed, this is a good record-keeper for me, as I want to have this info for later.

Oh, and yes, I do read the comments! Over and over. The funny ones make me laugh and they ALL make me feel cared for and thought of. I get lots of warm fuzzies when I read your kind words. (By the time this is all over, y'all will all know each other as well as you know me! Maybe I should introduce everyone??)

Thanks for being here to catch me. I am so very thankful and grateful to have such loyal and giving people in my life. To E and my ISD angels: Thanks for the dinners. Can't wait to eat them!
 
Comments:
Ok, I am really trying to be patient with you but all of this "I feel really good, REALLY" stuff is not going to get it. Drunk and silly isn't either. We have already seen drunk and silly and frankly, it was not that big a deal. Margaret, we had words about this earlier. I don't want to have to get tough with you, but you simply are not (to quote from earlier) "milking this gig enough." You are supposed to be sick, not claiming that you might be tired and achy "tomorrow." I'M going to be "tired and achy tomorrow!!" for cat's sake...

You are supposed to be swooned on the couch in a diaphanous silk gown with the back of your hand across your brow and the other hand limply dangling onto Buck's fuzzy ol' haid. Moaning softly. You know, like Theda Bara in some of those old silent movies she was so famous for.

Now, here's the deal. You want to get all you can out of this and you are not getting down with it. So, I have come up with a plan: Have your servant with the driver's license go to the drug store and get some of that stuff that makes you throw up. You know, the ipecac you use when you want people to feel sorry for you. When you come in Tuesday (since you are being so hard-headed you most likely will), take a big slug of it and go over to Vandella's desk and "annoint" it. Why, I can see it now! People will come running from all over the office building to see to "pore ol' Margaret." That ought to be a real spectacle!

OK, Margaret, as Andre Agassi would say: "The ball is in your court." So start acting sick, already.

Now, for a serious moment. Ann and I were talking this afternoon and neither of us feel that we would handle this terrific burden with the grace you are. You are a flat-out inspiration to anyone who even gets a whiff of this story. Ask Pam. I have a very, VERY stringent definition of a hero. Almost forty years ago I saw a Medal of Honor being earned. The Marine earning it didn't want any such thing. He wanted to go home and see his new baby. He had to be a hero first, though. His baby met her daddy in the Summer of 1982 - but long before that she knew what her daddy was made of. I know real, genuine heroes, Margaret. I know what real, genuine heroes are made of. You are one of them. You Margaret Desern are a real, genuine hero. First Class.

The book says so. Ask Enola, she knows.
 
Thank you, Terry.
 
Hey Margaret -

I was soooo glad to read that it went better this time - not that it's good, but a better bad is better (and now say that 3 times fast while you're still loopy).

You are truly AMAZING - what an example you are of strength and grace and humor and friendship. You can't have all these friends unless you are one heck of a friend yourself. Thank you for taking the time to keep us all informed with this blog. I'm sure there are many times you would rather do something or anything else, but you choose to keep updating us all. Thank you friend.

You take care of killing Skippy and let your friends take care of you. So rest up and take advantage of any and all offers (well maybe not ALL offers, you've got the right to be a little picky!!!).

Love, Jo
 
Hey... I forgot to tell you your mission (should you choose to accept it)... try to figure out which side goes with which dish. Let us know what you put with what. It will be interesting to see if we "think" alike. Whatever, I hope you, the boys and anybody else enjoy and it makes your day easier. Anytime I don't have to think "What's for dinner?" things are instantly better! See you next week. Ann.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger