Margaretsnews
Wednesday, August 02, 2006
 
Tuesday's news on Wednesday

Yesterday was the trip to the oncologist, the one we've been waiting for. The one that was to give us the schedule and the particulars.

The schedule will be: 1 day of chemo, 3 weeks off, for a total of 4 doses of chemo over a period of 12 weeks. Then surgery. Once it's discovered that I'm not quite dead, MORE chemo with radiation. And why not, I certainly wouldn't want to miss THAT opportunity, now, would I?

And for bad news, it was actually pretty good. The doctor seemed very optimistic that this cancer can be cured. My general overall health is good, I'm in decent shape --hey, I said decent, not great-and I'm not 90 years old. With any luck, I may just live to be, though. The bad news: I'm gonna lose my hair. Yes, I know it's just hair, and it's a very small price to pay for the rest of my life, but it's MY hair, and I've always liked it. (sigh.)

The funny thing that happened was this: The oncologist asked me how my veins were, so I held out my arms for her to take a look at them. I swear, her pupils dilated, and she started salivating, like my dog lusting over chicken skin. I never thought these huge bulging veins would ever really come in handy--and that's what I get for thinking again.

But I am grateful; the grapevine has provided me with plenty of REALLY good food (THANK YOU ENOLA!), and I have eaten early and often. There are some mighty fine cooks out there masquerading around as regular people. And now that we know the chemo schedule, those who have offered to drive can start their engines to transport me to and from when I can't drive myself (THANK YOU SHARA!). Y'know... I could really get used to this kind of treatment. . .

Thanks for being here for me. Oh, I know you all think that this blog is for you, but it's not. It's good therapy for me, and it keeps me from drinking whiskey and wailing and flinging myself on the floor. (And I'm only partially kidding.)
 
Comments:
Just remember what i told you about "Jellyfish Days"...it's OK. Thought of an additonal title for your card - "Sending you warm thoughts and good vibrations!" You can go back to saying "WOW!"

Thanks for dinner. Love you, gal.
 
Don't tell me you've gone through that pint of Tequila already! Geez, what are ya, some kind of lush? I know!, you're trying to get Skippy blotto, with the idea that if you pre-treat him chemically, there'll be less chemo for YOU to have poked into those, apparently, awesome veins.

Just let me know if you need another bottle -- we'll pony-up for the good stuff this time. You know, the brand with the worm in the bottom? How's the salt holding up? You've still got the lemons -- leave the rest to me.

psg
 
Good news! About the hair... I hear it comes back thick and curly!
 
Just think how much money you'll save on shampoo and hair color... ;)
 
What is your favorite dessert...remember you need to keep the weight up and so do I...nb
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger