Margaretsnews
Friday, August 25, 2006
 
It's Friday and I worked full days all week long! WOOHOO!! It felt good to be able to do that, too. I don't like taking time off to be sick; I have stuff to do.

I had something interesting happen on Thursday. Once I buzzed all my hair off, the skin was very sensitive. I had planned on wearing a hat, but with no hair, my hat is a bit big, it wobbles on my head, and it's textured. I could not tolerate that much texture touching my head. So I chose the soft stretchy headwrap to wear. It was soothing on the tender head, covered up enough so as not to scare people, easy to put on and take off. My interesting discovery was that when one wears a hat, one looks fashionable, trendy, sassy. When one wears a headwrap, one looks as though one has no hair. Yes, the headwrap acts like a bullhorn, screaming "CANCER PATIENT HERE!! LOOK OUT!!!" People either stared or wouldn't look at me at all. And while I was out one day, I could swear there was a woman who was 6 feet away, talking about me to her companion. Paranoid? Self-conscious? Uncomfortable? Me? Yes, to everything. In the "safe zones" I'm fine. Out in the world, I'm not quite fine. (sigh...)

On the plus side, I'm feeling pretty good. I worked all week long, and did ordinary things at home, and went to bed early. You know, like a regular person on a regular day. It's amazing the amount of energy it takes just to get through a day, which I didn't appreciate until I didn't have it. What a learning experience this has been for me. I'm learning about drugs (no, not that kind), expectations, compassion, endurance, and friends--all good stuff. I wonder why it takes a major event to bring out the best in people. One thing's for sure: LOTS of people are certainly giving their best to me and I am grateful.
 
Comments:
Since you will anyway, you can think all the preconceived notions you want to have about hats and headwraps and do rags and what-all. The truth is you have made a sea-change in your life and become a - HORRORS!!!!! - HAT LADY.

The change just happened to coincide with the other change you have had to make: from the fng in the ISD office, hard worker, responsible woman, errand runner, friend of Enola, kind, gentle, loving, mother of two delightful young men to WARRIOR IN THE BATTLE OF SKIPPY.

The philistines who were talking about you while you could hear? Well, they are just philistines. That's all: Know nothings who have nothing better to do but miss life by evaluating other's. People like that do such things because they are jealous of how wonderful people like you look in your fancy new hats and other head things. They are jealous because they don't have the nerve to make Fashion Statements.

Now, the truth about the hats and your look in them is that you look just stunning. The Wrap is elegant - the very trait you do best with, the Straw is muleish - indicating the stubbornness you need to prevail, and the Prapul, well there is just nothing that can be said in public about the Prapul.

All in all, a very nice change. Skippy's ugly ol' hare is gone and Margaret's Hat Lady phase is very nice. The book says so.
 
T.,

You make being a Hat Lady sound like such fun!

Today has been a bit hard; thanks for your encouraging words.

Good thing you have the book for a guide!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger