Margaretsnews
Wednesday, August 23, 2006
 
I did it

Today was the big day, although I didn't know it until this afternoon. This morning, after the shower, I towel dried my hair and brushed it, and waited for it to fluff as it dried. My scalp was very sore and tender, and brushing my hair hurt. Then I noticed that my hair didn't fluff up like it usually did. So I decided to make today the first hat day.

I wore the hat to work, and while it looked cute and fun, it's really not my style. (Sigh...) Guess it'll have to be though; I can't go around with flat hair. All day long I wore the hat, and just got accustomed to having it on, and seeing it in my peripheral vision. I kept running my fingers through my hair and coming away with a handful. Oh, why can't chemo take away this fat on my belly or these wrinkles around my eyes? I wouldn't mind losing either of those!

After lunch, I went into the ladies' room to freshen up a bit, and I took off the hat. The hair I saw was ugly, flat, and just all wrong, and I knew that it was no longer mine. This was Skippy's hair, and it had to go. When I got home, I took off the hat, plugged in the clippers, put on the longest guard, and started cutting. Then I put on a shorter guard, and kept on cutting. And then I took the guard off, and used just the clipper blades to cut the rest. I now have what appears to be a 5 o'clock shadow on my head.

Take that, Skippy!
 
Comments:
Margaret,

You are so very brave! I only wish I had half the courage, strength, spunk, and sense of humor ;) that you have. I hope that we can all learn some of those fine traits through your example.

Well, I'm sure missing you as we start school this week. I MIGHT get more work done, but it won't be half as much fun!... nah, I'm still not getting anything done. ;)

Well, I think we should ALL wear our hats to work tomorrow. I won't take credit; it was Enola's idea. But it's at least something that I CAN DO to support you, since I'm not good for too much else. So... even though I won't be with you in body, know that I will be thinking about you and praying for you all day tomorrow as I wear my hat, trying to support you in my own small way. Maybe I'll have someone take my picture, and I'll send it to you, just so you can be reminded of how very much I love you and want to be there for you.

Take care of yourself. Remember that all those things that need to be done will still be there tomorrow. You need to have enough energy to be able to get around to them again because they come right back again as soon as you finish.

Love you!

Molly
 
Oh Margaret what can I say - you are an inspiration for the grace you show through this horror and a hero to all around you. I am so glad to know you! Keep showing Skippy who's boss and beat him into submission - he picked the wrong lady to mess with - you're amazing!
Love, Jo
 
Since wrinkles and that other thing you mentioned aren't Skippy's, you don't get to get rid of them. They are yours and yours to keep.

...and, bald wimmin in prapul hats never get beat. They win 100% of the time. The book says so.

Just ask Enola - she knows too.
 
In the face of all that stinks (that's not my first choice of words, but my mother would frown on me "publishing" what I want to say), you are incredible. Please know I'm here for you if there's anything I can do. Ann.
 
Brava! I'll bet that 5 o'clock shadow look isn't half bad. Imagine if you'd taken out the ol' safety razor and shaving cream for the last passover. If your head is as bumpy as mine, with no smooth surfaces, you would've had a headful of knicks. Picture it: a head dotted with dozens of bits of toilet paper. Fer sure, you wouldn't neet a hat -- lavender or purple or otherwise! Yep, I think a burr cut is just what ol' Skippy's hair needed. When it grows back, it'll be Margaret's hair.
 
You looked very cute with the hat and today with the turbin...your spirit is contigous and it is a joy coming up to the 4th floor to see you. I know this is the fight you will win....hands down. Let me what I can do for you...anytime...nancy
 
I for one think you look sexy... Can I say that here. C
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger