Margaretsnews
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
 
...And the next day...

It's Wednesday afternoon. I started writing this in the morning, but I had many interruptions and an errand to run, but I'm here now. I must say, I feel OK. I'm a little tired and moving slowly, but, hey, if that's the worst of it, I'll be OK. I've heard that the 3rd day after treatment is the kicker, so I'm waiting for that. If anyone has any experience with that, please enlighten me! (email me or click on the word "comment" at the end of this blog. Thanks.)

The "chemo suite" at the Cancer Center on Asheville Avenue is very nice. There are about 25 recliners in a huge room with chairs for visitors. There are two 100 gallon aquariums, a refrigerator stocked with sodas and juices, a coffee pot with all the fixin's, and a basket full of chips and crackers. All for the taking. (Well, maybe not the aquariums!)

Last night went well; I slept pretty well once I got to sleep. I think the "happy juice" was more stimulating than the Benadryl was drowsy-ing. I took 1 anti-nausea pill (the one that would make me drowsy) last night and have had no trouble with nausea last night or today. This morning, I had a bottle of Ensure and a brownie--Breakfast of Champions!

Later this afternoon, I go get a shot that will help keep up my white blood cells. And in two weeks, I go to get more blood work done, and a week from then, it'll be time for another round of "happy juice", and we start all over.

I need to clarify here: it seems that I had the order of events mixed up. Well, the plan changed, and I got the revision all wrong. (More evidence that I shouldn't travel alone.) The series of events is: chemo now, then chemo + radiation, then surgery and then possibly more chemo, just to finish me off. Once the cancer in my chest was found, the game plan went to Plan B. That's a good thing, because the cancer in my lymph nodes will kill me quicker than the slow-growing tumor in my lung. Thank God (and I have) that my doctor, yes the 16-year old surgeon, suspected it and found it and changed the plan accordingly. From now on, I'll refer to him as Dr. White, which he deserved all along.

Thanks for being here. I truly appreciate all the kindness I've been given. And now it's time for my nap.
 
Comments:
Thanks for clarifying your schedule for us. Sounds like all that will be missing is a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. The radiation is going to happen WITH the chemo or after?

Had some of us known how good you were going to have it we (at least SOME of us) would have knocked you down and gone to the front of the line. Free chips? What kind of dip? Any fish worth eating in those aquaria? I could bring my fly rod and...

Your breakfast sounds very nice. Funny you didn't mention the brownie earlier. Hmmmm... You know for a red head, you are really in co rij ible.

Have a nice nap and if you feel like it, you can grace us with your majestic presence in the morning unless the third day is that bad after all. If not, you are with us as we are with you.

Just in case you will be coming in, should I bring some peeled grapes for her highness?
 
Terry,

Leave the grapes, bring the tequilla.

The 2nd round of chemo will be along with radiation, y'know, a two-fer. A one-two punch. A daily double. Piggyback. Can't wait for that.

Remember that after each round of chemo on this set, I get a shot to keep the white blood cells perking. So I DO get the poke with a sharp stick!

Yeah, bring the tequilla.
 
Refresh us re. the 16 year old dr. Sounds like what was his name Doogie Houser or something about how many years ago. Good luck with the third day. You have such spunk, it wouldn't dare give you a hard time. Take care and talk with you next week. Gone for the weekend playing Nanny to the grandchild. DSpr
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:
Location: United States

I decided to put a blog together for 2 reasons. I have cancer and am undergoing treatments. I wanted a record of events, and I also knew I wouldn't be able to update everyone constantly. You know how it goes: the first person who calls gets very good information. The 10th person gets, "I'm fine, kinda tired. Can we talk later?", which I thought wasn't fair. The response has been awesome; I never expected this kind of success. Thanks, Blogger! And thanks to all who read, respond, and care.

ARCHIVES
July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Powered by Blogger